Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Speaking Up

Our local NEA has had two days of information meetings as our school district heads down the path of possible collective bargaining. I chose to attend tonight after school. It was a short, information packed session done in a very professional manner.

I had considered joining NEA for many years. The dues were high for a single teacher salary so that kept me from signing up. Lately, they are more reasonable. And lately, I have realized that teachers around here often just put up with decisions made by those in charge.

Why is it that teachers-myself very much included-feel an almost subordinate position to those in administration or on school boards? We are the experts dealing with groups of children each day, yet we allow decisions about our jobs to be made, often without much teacher input.

Well, it is time in this mid-sized city for teachers to be stakeholders in decision making. To have their opinions sought and to be able to bring their concerns to the forefront. I can't wait to see how this plays out. Hopefully, our voices are heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment