Sunday, March 6, 2011

Our History

We lingered over our coffees having finished our specialty sandwiches. The sun was streaming in the shop's large windows framed in plants. It created a special warmness to our still chilly weather. Created patterns on the rusty brick walls. Patrons frequently hauled open the decades-old heavy door.

Some of the buildings in our downtown area are getting close to two hundred years old. As I sit here today I think about the past. What businesses and people were here, what is the history of this quaint shop?

I listen to my daughter talk and think of our history. She is a grown woman now, not my little girl. Our conversations have evolved to adult subjects. We trade comments wrapped in respect for each others thoughts and feelings.

Parents go through a somewhat difficult process of letting go. We gradually are needed less. Our children at one point could not take care of any daily needs without our doing it for them. Eventually we find ourselves as I am today. Proudly conversing and sipping coffee with an adult friend.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that the best feeling in the world? I love your words "wrapped in respect for each others thoughts and feelings." Nice slice for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you began your post. You really allowed me to picture your words and made me want to be there with you. I TRULY look forward to the day when my daughter and I are that close. She is in middle school, however, so that time seems too far away right now!! :)

    ReplyDelete