Saturday, March 31, 2012

Another March Wrap Up



“You will have to write and put away or burn a lot of material before you are comfortable in this medium. You might as well start now and get the necessary work done. For I believe that eventually quantity will make for quality. How so? Quantity gives experience. From experience alone can quality come."
Ray Bradbury

I place quotes on writing around my room throughout the year. Ray Bradbury is a favorite of mine as he often speaks on quantity. I want my students to understand that quantity is an important aspect of writing.

I do teach lessons on writing and we develop the craft of writing, but I need them to realize there is no magic lesson or secret to becoming a writer. Indeed it is practice and implementation of our lessons and the meaningful exchanges in our conferences, but underneath those important points is write, write, write.

While I believe those words, it the March Slice of Life Writing Challenge that gives me the opportunity to "practice what I preach". Through Stacey and Ruth's invitation on this site, I have a place to write. I also experience the challenges my students face. I am so grateful.

I enjoy and learn from each comment I have received, so thanks fellow slicers. I appreciate the opportunity to comment on posts and I delight in reading others' stories--oh, what great writing I have read this month!

I do hope to drop in and write on Tuesdays during the remainder of 2012. And this year I'm not experiencing exhaustion as March wraps up, but I'm already looking forward to March, 2013.

Yep, "quantity gives experience",

No comments:

Post a Comment